What did my child do in class today?
Did my child practice her phonetic sounds?
Did my child do any writing?
What is pink tower? How do you teach continents? Upper case or lowercase letters? …..Questions galore from the parents?
Do you do a daily report for each child in the class explaining what they worked on ? Is it practical for the guide?
No, so how do you explain or showcase the child’s learning to the parents?
Host a Discovery session.
What is a Discovery session?
An informal event inviting parents to the classroom to see their children work with the Montessori materials and receive lessons from them.
- We schedule this event about 3 times each calendar year ; usually on Thursday from 5:00-6:00 pm.
- Guide sends email to the parents a few times before the event reminding them of it and the importance of attending the event.
- Parents /grandparents are invited to attend.
- It is a come and go event.
- Parents get to see first-hand what their children are working in the classroom.
- This also gives parents an opportunity to see the materials clearly in the classroom.
- We try to host this event a week before the “parent-teacher conference” – this helps explain the child’s progress clearly to the parents.
We have hosted this Discovery session at our school for the past couple of years, we have almost 100% attendance from the parents, they are so impressed by what their children are capable of doing, how the Montessori materials are helping them build focus & concentration, how they are learning their letters and numbers.
Try hosting this event at your school and share your feedback.