Every child loves art in one way or another – some might like to get a little more messy than others 🎨🎨🎨
Primary children (3-6 years old) are “process-oriented” , So it’s important to give children a free hand in what “art” they want to make without being disruptive to the environment/others in the classroom.
Art easel should be an integral part of every primary classroom.
Things to be set up at the Easel
- construction paper (different colors) in a holder
- paint brush
- paint palette
- 2-3 paint containers(Paint squeeze bottles)
Encourage children to take any color paper they want , mix and match the different paints on the paint palette and be creative painting & most importantly have fun doing it.
Montessori tip : children can paint as many papers as they want with any combination of paint until they feel they are done.
Encourage them to clean up the brush, wash out the paint palette, wipe down the easel before walking away to choose another work.
Advantages of the Art Easel
- This can be a great way to calm children crying or missing their mom /dad when they walk in – almost every child wants to make a “ picture” for mommy and daddy.
- Painting can be very calming to younger children or those new in the classroom until they figure out the other works.
- Children can learn about color mixing.
- Children can learn about symmetry – paint on one side of the paper , fold the paper and viola , painting appears on the other side of the paper ( actually observed this from a 4 year old girl in my class – who was super excited when she made this discovery !!)
Every child is an artist – Picasso