One of the most important trait a teacher should have to be successful and keep the children safe in a classroom is
Here’s the link to the Definition of withitness
Simple tips to enhance this trait are as follows:
1. Face maximum children while doing any activity.
2. Have a general awareness of where your “challenging/busy ones “are.
3. Avoid sitting down with one -on-on lessons when classroom is in “false fatigue “ or chaos mode.
4. Never turn your back from the children and get busy in an activity.
5. Get your challenging ones engaged in an activity /invite them to watch the lesson before sitting down for a long lesson with an older child in the classroom.
6. Align the classroom in way where there are no “hiding” spots – behind the shelves , behind the map cabinet etc.
7. Periodically talk to children about safety procedures – sitting on chair, not going under table , not leaving classroom without teacher’s permission etc.
8. Always communicate with the other adult/teacher if you are taking any children out of the environment or if you are leaving the environment by yourself.
“ A teacher should have eyes everywhere at all times “.