FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: HTTPS://WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM/MONTESSORIREFLECTIONS_GEETHA/?HL=EN
Water works are an integral part of Practical life in the Montessori classroom.
They are fun, exciting, calming, help build focus, concentration, “control of movement” and “self-regulation”in a child.
Practical life water works are important because of the following reasons:
- Development of the physical, mental, and emotional aspects of the child.
- Purposeful movement that helps the development of the mind, and a sense of achievement. The development of the child’s mind, movement, and senses will in turn, develop the will.
- Concentration. The child will concentrate on completing an activity as perfectly as possible; all activities are intelligible, logical, sequential, and exact. Children will internalize this and try to repeat the exercises as perfectly as possible; all exercises have a motive for perfection.
- Orderly work habits. The children need to internalize presentations in an orderly manner in order to reproduce it in an orderly manner.
- The practical life exercises develop logical thought through the definite logic in the exercises. There is a beginning, middle, and end to each exercise.
- The exercises give the children a sense of responsibility from the result of freedom (freedom which is a result of co-ordination of movement and awareness of the environment). Children have the freedom and ability to exercise their will within their environment.
- Social development. All of the practical life exercises teach the children grace, courtesy, patience, and respect. These elements of social development are re-enforced through the actions of the other children and through the actions of the teacher.
- Establish a sense of reality, rooted in real activities (nothing is make-believe). Exercises are lucid, logical, and realistic. This helps the children pursue reality. If an activity is not meaningful and purposeful than the mind cannot develop or construct itself.
- Emotional stability helps the children become familiar with the real world and their environment. It builds self-esteem, and through that, their dignity will flourish. Materials and activities are therapeutic, meaning the mind and body work together.
Check out montessorireflections_geetha on Instagram for some examples of easy to set up water works at home.